At only 17 Ruby Ryan is clocking up some impressive results on the NZ and international mountain bike scene and has just been selected for the XCO world champs in Canada at the end of the month! We find out a little more about what makes her tick in our brief interview..
1. When and how did you get into mountain biking?
I first started mountain biking when I was 4 years old. It started off as a family activity, then my older brother started competing and I loved to follow and chase him around which led to a passion and competing when I was about 11 years old.
2. What are you current goals with Mountain Biking? And any other big goals for the future?
I am hoping to be selected for XCO world champs in Canada later this year and then aim for a top20 finish. I hope to build on this and eventually one day make commonwealth/Olympic Games.
3. What is your favorite inspirational quote or saying?
I love inspirational quotes, one of my favourites would have to be "You've got what it takes, but it'll take everything you've got."
4. What motivates you to do what you do /train as hard as you do?
My family motivate myself to do well and train. Riding is a big part of my whole family's life.
5. Who inspires you and why?
My brother and cousin both inspire me. They are so successful and having a family member as your role model is so inspiring. You know you also have what it takes.
6. What are your favourite Nothing Naughty products and what do you use them for?
My absolute favourite Nothing naughty product would have to be the Collagen beauty bars. These bars are so tasty and good for you! I always have one with me for a snack during my training sessions or anytime during the day.
7. If you could invent a new flavour for a protein bar or powder what would it be?
I am a huge nut butter fan so a almond or peanut butter filled protein bar would be delicious.